Sunday, August 30, 2009

We had such a fun day yesterday. We were "forced" to spend the entire day together, just our family, and it was awesome! It seems like it has become such a low priority for us to spend time together, but we (at least I) had a great time.

First, poor Corben had to get up at 6:30, an unheard of hour in our household, to get to his coach's house by 7:30. Then it was on to Smithfield for the 10:30 game. The rest of us left at the more reasonable hour of 9. Corben played a fantastic game. There was an awesome park there that the little kids enjoyed for awhile. We then sped onto Morgan to get Trevor there in time to meet his team. He wolfed down a sandwich in the van on the way. After we dropped him off we went to a nearby park and ate lunch, and then back in time for Trevor's game to start. Trevor did awesome as well, but I could tell he was exhausted from the long day he had already had. When his game got over we stopped for ice cream cones in Ogden, and then onto West Haven for my and Jeremy's soccer game, which was a blast (for me. Jeremy gets frustrated way too easily, and it was a frustrating game). We got home a little after 8. Jeremy joked that the amount of driving we did would've gotten us 1/3 of the way to Disneyland, but the kids were absolute angels. Helped, in part, by Transformers playing on the DVD player.


On a side note, I want to brag about how well Jeremy and I have been doing with our finances since two days ago when we pinky swore to each other that we'd do better. Two days may not seem impressive, but sadly, it is for us. The "old" us, on a day like the one we had yesterday, would've easily justified stopping at a fast food restaurant for a meal since we were gone all day long. But the new and improved us packed a cooler for our lunch and fruit snacks for the kids during the games so they wouldn't wither away. So the only money we spent aside from gas was on the ice cream, which was $5 total (Arctic Circle, 69 [why is there a dollar sign on the keyboard and not a cents sign?] cents each, and I didn't get one, just kept stealing off the kids'). Go us!

On another side note, my sweet Corben got the priesthood today. He is such a little man! Jeremy gave him a very special blessing. Both of his grandpas, along with great-grandma and Denny, joined us for the ordination. It was such a neat and special day for him and I am so proud of him!

3 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

What an athletic family! The boys are getting so big. I loved going to watch my brother play peewee football- now he's on the high school team! Kids grow up too fast.

The McKinnons said...

Wow, now that is a day and a half! Good job on packing the cooler. Impressive. I only do that when we go to the pool, and I am proud of myself for doing pbj's instead of stopping at subway or something. I have to say I am sucking at the money thing right now because Trav is out of town, and I hate cooking when it is just me and the kids. Hopefully after Sept. he will be around more and we will get back to a normal schedule. Can't wait to chat Tuesday. I have got to hear your story of your two kids on their bikes from your own mouth.

Giff and Shirelle said...

Dad said Corben and Trevor are doing awesome in football. I hate living away. Wish I could have been to Corbens ordination. I feel so out of touch.