Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Things I have done in my life:
Gotten married
Had six beautiful children

Things I have not done:
Had a daughter
refrained from breaking my child's arm

That's right.  That forlorn little six-year-old is suffering all because of me.  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it happened while I was bouncing him on the trampoline.  Don't bother lecturing me.  Every doctor in the emergency room already did.  And believe me, I have learned my lesson.  It was quite traumatizing.  I could tell on this particular bounce that it wasn't going to be a smooth landing.  He started crying, but it wasn't the agonized cry I was expecting, so I was hoping he was okay.  Then I saw his arm.  I won't go into detail, but I knew right away that it was definitely broken.  And can I just say that in situations like this, THANK GOODNESS FOR HUSBANDS.  All I could do was cover my mouth and moan, all the while Jeremy is grabbing Lance, grabbing his keys, and heading out the door for the hospital.  I came in and called Kira and calmly asked if she could come babysit so I could meet them at the hospital.  Just kidding.  I was bawling so hysterically she couldn't understand a word I was saying.  She hurried over, and I rushed to the hospital.  Oh man.  The look on that kid's face when I walked into his room about killed me.  They had just started him on morphine so he was starting to get a little glazy.  Luckily Dr. Cook happened to be there, just checking on a patient for another doctor, so they were able to get Lance right into the little operating room.  Everything went well, and Lance is being such a trooper.  I think he thinks it's pretty cool to wear that cast.  So all you mothers out there, if you have never broken any of your childrens' arms, don't take that blessing for granted! 

8 comments:

The Steffensen's said...

More like you should be bragging that you broke your child's arm while playing with him since you are the coolest/funnest mom on the planet!!!

Things most mom's have not done: given up new clothes, pricey hair appointments, and weekends getaways so their children could have a blast playing on their new trampoline.

Poulsen Family said...

Poor little guy :(
If it makes you feel better. When I was Lance's age my Dad bounced me right off the tramp; I was knocked out cold- may have some brain damage, who knows.

Your posts are fun to read. You are a good, entertaining writer!

Yeah- for you blogging!

Brooke and BJ said...

Oh no! I had not even heard about this! I'm so glad you have blog, so now maybe I can keep up with what's going on...we need to see you guys more!

gregoryhill said...

I agree with everything my daughters said about each other. What a blessing to have them!

The McKinnons said...

Man I can't wait for bookclub. I feel like I have so much to catch up on. At least you haven't gone out to eat on a Sunday...ha, ha, ha! That is really something you could feel bad about, but really breaking your kids arm while you are taking the time to play with him on the trampoline sounds pretty great to me!!!

Melissa said...

Hey - great blog! Sorry to hear about poor, little Lance's arm. Don't beat yourself up over it - broken bones heal; being a fun, attentive mother will give your kids a life-long advantage.

Kelly said...

I look cool don't I?
from trevor.

Kelly said...

i love my dog! my dad put him on ksl but me an my bro are gonna run away with him!
from trevor.