Thursday, June 18, 2009

Alright, Gayla and Jenny.  I DON"T want to hear I told you so.  I couldn't be more devastated than I already am.  Our dog went to a new home last Sunday.  I SO could not handle having a dog.  I really, really wish I could have.  Poor Corben sobbed for hours.  I've been distraught all week about it, and today I made Jeremy call the people who bought him and ask if we could come see him.  They are so sweet and had no problem with it.  So the kids and I picked Jeremy up from work and we hauled on up to Draper to see Sawyer (now called Tucker).  We couldn't be more pleased about his new situation.  First of all, no one in his new family is afraid of him, so I'm sure that's nice for his self-esteem.  Secondly, they have a lot of land and there are lots of other dogs around, both relative and friend.  He was wearing a handkerchief around his neck.  It looked hysterical!  The kids had a great time playing with him for about a half hour.  It was the son of this family who actually got the dog, and he is just adorable.  He's sixteen, and as cute as can be.  But to top it all off he was just awesome with my kids.  He chatted with them like they were old friends, took them to see his gecko, his horses, and some other things around their property.  So all in all, I'm very glad we went.  I'm still very sad I couldn't have been a stronger, less lazy person and just dealt with the extra effort of a dog, but at the same time I can't believe the immense feeling of relief.  I hate admitting that, but it's very true.  I still don't know if I did the right thing.  But now that I don't have that extra stress I'm trying to focus that energy on being a nicer and more patient mom. 

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I just went through the same thing! We had a really great dog for about five months - she was good with the kids and really sweet, but she also DESTROYED our backyard and parts of our home. The final straw was when she started chewing holes in the carpet. Lilly was really sad and feel terrible about the whole thing... except, I do feel very relieved also!

The Steffensen's said...

I didn't think I could love Melissa more, but what a comforting comment!

To think of little Sawyer in his handkerchief! Oh my gosh, sooo cute. Although I wish you'd left out the part about the name change. He'll always be Sawyer to me (insert tear drop).

Jenny said...

:(...However, I want to know how my name got chosen for this blog. I can't give you too much crap being that I didn't even know you had a dog until a couple of blog posts ago on Kira's!! You've gone above and beyond my expectations- I never thought a dog would touch foot inside your home! :D
But seriously, I wouldn't ever say "I told you so"...to you in this situation. You have 6 kids, I can't even imagine the added stress of a dog! I am glad you were able to find Sawyer a great new home!

Giff and Shirelle said...

Before you know it the kids will be asking for another dog. This time go check the shelters. You can get an older dog that isn't so crazy. We got Geddy from the shelter.

Janelle said...

I totally agree with you. I don't think I will ever get a dog. Besides all the obvious reasons, I don't have the patience or desire to clean up after one more thing.