Monday, September 21, 2009

Just like most moms out there, I remember seeing little kids running around in mismatched clothes, wearing cowboy boots with shorts, etc., always thinking, "I will never let my children dress like that. They will always look perfect." At what point does that desire slip away from us? Pretty much the only time I comb my kids' hair is for church. And once your babies can start dressing themselves, you're so happy to have that few extra minutes in the morning, it's hard to find the strength to argue with them that the red Christmas sweater and camouflage shorts they are wearing, as Jace was the other day, doesn't match! Not to mention that it was 90 degrees out and that sweater looked really hot! Jace wore that outfit all day, and we even went places! And the worst part is, I didn't even really notice it until the end of the day. That's when I started wondering at what point I gave up.

5 comments:

The Steffensen's said...

Talk about a post that could use some pics! I thought of taking pictures of my fruit but could bring myself to put effort into taking pictures of something that wasn't my children.

PS. There has got to be a fine line. I will still be dressing Allie when she goes to highschool. I have all the children dressed, hair done, and accessorized even for a walk around the block. Why can't I be OCD about something else, like say a clean house?

Melissa said...

I pretty much let my kids dress themselves and always strive for maintenance-free hairstyles (for me, too :) It makes for much more interesting conversation, generally - I love it when someone asks my child "Did you dress yourself?" And they proudly say YES!

Janelle said...

It is hard. I have not had such crazy outfits as the one you described though. I tell my kids that they can't wear camo pants and a camo shirt at the same time. They can't wear blue pants and blue shirt at the same time and black and blue does not match(unless it is denim blue). Other then that I pretty much have let it go. But they have to wear clean underwear.

Giff and Shirelle said...

Thats hilarious. I wanna see a pic of that. Go Jace.

Heidi said...

Oh man. I think this has to happen after kid 2. I think I'll be able to find the strength to fight a kid to wear something that matches. But I have totally given up on other things. I thought I'd never let my kids feed themselves until they knew how without getting messy... that is out the window every day. He usually has more on him than in him when he's done.