Thursday, July 29, 2010

I've been bummed all week about last week's Deseret News 10k that I ran with my dad, sister, and brother-in-law. I had no doubt that I would improve on last year's time and ended up adding three minutes! So I'm trying to gain a little perspective. I'm blessed that I have the ability to even attempt a race. It's not something I would've ever thought about trying ten years ago. And my sister made a couple of good points when she wrote about it: It is an awesome family tradition that we've started. This was our second year but we have no plans to stop. Also it's inspiring to run with our dad. He's 56 years old and didn't even start running until about five years ago or so. I am an avid exerciser, and despite my deep love and appreciation for all things chocolate/fried/crunchy/salty, etc. and the ensuing weight problems that causes, I think I am fairly healthy. So I need to stop being bummed about what I couldn't do and be proud of myself for what I can do.

2 comments:

The Steffensen's said...

Perspective is so funny. I mean, here I couldn't be prouder of taking first place (out of all the 15 week pregnant gals from here in Layton). Guess we better do another one soon so you can beat your time!

Diana said...

If you want a repeat you and Kira can come run the South Weber 10k this Saturday. It would be fun to have you, although I will just be doing the 5k, I think you are AMAZING for even running a 10k, that's my goal for next year! Loved reading your post about the cabin - it truly is a magical place.