Saturday, October 27, 2012

I don't understand how some people can get so into Halloween.  We had our neighborhood trunk-or-treat tonight over at the church and I couldn't believe the effort of some of the costumes.  My favorite was Katniss.  This little gal had the mockingjay pin and everything.  I asked where she got the pin and she had no idea, her mom got it.  Well, here are the efforts I went to for my kids' costumes.  Jace wore an adult-sized Angry Bird costume that Jeremy got on clearance after Halloween last year.  Brody wore a Power Rangers costume, about 2 sizes too small, with no mask or make-up so nobody knew what he was supposed to be.  Zack did not dress up at all, I think he was half-heartedly pretending to be a football player because he was wearing his jersey.  Lance was a soccer player, wore the uniform he just wore in fall soccer.  Trevor wasn't dressed up but as I think he is already too old for trick-or-treating I'll be darned if he wasn't going to wear a costume, so he put on a vampire cape and a clown wig over his regular clothes.  Oh, and he was wearing roller blades.  It reminded me of my favorite childhood book, Me and the Weirdos.

In all fairness to myself, It wasn't entirely my fault.  If any of them had an ounce of decision-making skills I would have gladly helped them put a costume together.  But nobody gave any thought or care whatsoever to their costume, and I've never been a major Halloween fanatic so I'm not going to go to all this effort if they don't care.  The problem is I need to come up with something for the school parade otherwise I'll be embarrassed for them.  

On a happier note, Zack was the hero at his indoor soccer game today.  The game was tied with just a few seconds left and the other team was taking a penalty kick with Zack as the goalie.  The second the whistle blew Zack charged the kicker and was able to block the goal.  It was so awesome!  We were standing right by the team and they were so cute erupting into cheers.  One of the boys turned around to me and shouted, "Zack did it!"  CUTE! 

2 comments:

Dev said...

Well we didn't even have Halloween City, Spirit Halloween, Saver's Halloween section or the Internet back in my day. In fact, if you didn't show up at Kmart within a week of them putting out their Halloween costumes then you would never find one.

The Steffensen's said...

You should have done what I did. I posted on my ward Facebook page that I need Minnie ears and within 30 seconds I had 2 responses and an offer for the whole costume so Kendall doesn't have to wear the scabie one.