Friday, March 12, 2010

Most. Awkward. Experience. Ever.

Today after the gym Kira and I were walking our kids, ages 5, 4, and 3, out to our cars. As we passed the door to a physical therapy office this couple walks out. The wife was about the height of the children, and was using crutches. Do other moms get that sinking feeling in their tummy when they're with their kids and pass someone who's disabled or really big, because they know what's coming? So anyway Kira and I frantically started trying to sidetrack the kids and hurry them into the cars. Apparently our shushing of them was more noticeable than their gawking and pointing. The husband came over to us and said, "I see you're curious about my wife," and went onto explain her condition. He had the children go over and talk to her. They were so captivated. After about two seconds they were chatting like old friends. I was so flustered. I said something to the guy apologizing about my kids being bratty. He scolded me, "They're not being bratty. They're just curious." That put me in my place.

1 comment:

The Steffensen's said...

I was going to blog about this as well (but it'd be like twenty pages, cause I don't know how to keep things minimal). Anyway. I loved how the children were just chatting with that cute gal. It sucks when kids gawk, but it's so unusual to them. How great would it be if more people with special needs would be more open to explain like my new bff? Then the children see that we are all the same inside!