Monday, January 5, 2015

Yesterday was probably my best birthday (as a grown-up) yet.  Jeremy finally learned my love language, and he did a perfect job.  I didn't lift a finger all weekend.  On Saturday he cleaned, got the kids to clean, took all six kids shopping for a couple hours while I stayed home alone, and he even cooked Sunday dinner.  All 8 of us went to Olive Garden on Saturday.  I'm learning that if we're eating out these kids just prefer fast food.  Sit down restaurants don't really know how to make kid-friendly dinners.  Course Jeremy got the staff to sing Happy Birthday to me so that was a real treat.  Corben said I did a real good job of not blushing so that was good.

I loved how sweet the kids were.  Like most grown-ups, half the time I forget it's even my birthday, as was the case as we were bustling around trying to get everyone to get ready for church.  I went downstairs and was rushing to wake up (again) (even though we now have 1:00 church) a couple of the kids.  Corben was coming down the hall and as I went rushing by he held out his arms and gave me a big hug and told me happy birthday.  He even held the hug for longer than the normal .005 seconds!  It was very special.  He's such a neat kid, still singing and playing his guitar and writing songs that absolutely amaze me.  A few months ago he started working as a custodian for the jr. high and is LOVING spending his earnings.  I hope he'll get that out of his system fast and learn the beauty of saving.

Trev is my child who is most like me, so it makes me laugh (not really) that I'm so impatient with him.  He's got a strong personality, but man can this kid get me on the floor laughing.  It is impossible to get him to be serious, he is so stinking funny! He can defuse any tension with one word, and my scowl will turn into a laugh whether I want it to or not.  His church teacher was talking to me about him the other day and telling me what a tender heart he has, and it's so true.  He acts tough, but he's a big softie.

Lance is my quiet handyman.  His most favorite activity in the world, no joke, is to go shopping at Lowe's with his dad.  Anytime Jeremy is working on a car, a bike, any home improvement project, Lance is right there glued to his side helping.  Jeremy trades work with a mechanic friend of his and when he went there one day to work on the guy's computers, Lance was in seventh heaven when Jeremy invited him to come along.  They were there for several hours and I finally decided to go grab Lance, knowing he'd be bored to tears by then, but he was in his element.  No way was he leaving with anyone but dad.

Zack is a lot like Trevor, acts tough but secretly has a very soft heart.  He is the only kid who will still (willingly) cuddle with me.  He gives me hugs just out of the blue, all the time.  He is the goalie for his soccer team and loves it.  He gets to go to an out-of-town tournament this month and has been most anxiously awaiting the trip for months.  He does not love school, which is frustrating to me because he is such a smart kid!  Once they switch schools to functioning 100% electronically I think he will get straight As.

Brody is kind, smart, rebellious, funny, and sassy.  I never know what I'll get from him from one minute to the next.  His hair is so long and shaggy but he will not let us trim it.  I'm all for forcing him but I then get ganged up on by Jeremy and Corben who think "he should be able to express himself."  My favorite thing that he's been doing for several months, no idea where this came from, but anytime I call his name, instead of shouting "What?!" like every other kid, he comes right up to me and says, "Yes Dear?"  It is hysterical.  This kid is OBSESSED with soccer.  He has become quite the little player and he is just on cloud 9 whenever he scores for his team.  He had a game the Saturday after Christmas and in the days leading up to Christmas he was more often asking how many days til my game instead of how many days til Christmas.

Jace is the calm one.  He definitely has his moments but overall he is patient and easy.  He is so smart and does such a good job at school.  He does hilarious dances, faces, voices, etc.  His whole life, however, is soccer.  He knows everything about Real Salt Lake and is thrilled that his dad took a tenth mortgage out on the house to get season tickets this year.  He is the goalie on his team and is AWESOME.  They just started another session and he has helped keep them undefeated in the first few games they've played so far.

1 comment:

The Steffensen's said...

Do my eyes deceive me?! What a fun update. I'm so glad J has learned your love language and that he did those things instead of eating your birthday dessert. Because I'm not going to mention any names but if that did happen to a gal, I doubt she'd ever forget about it!